West Highland Way

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: IanTaylor, admin

KeithW

West Highland Way

Post by KeithW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:03 pm

Some of you may have seen '100 Greatest Walks' with Julia Bradbury on the TV a couple of Tuesdays ago. A lot of the walks featured look to be also cyclable, including the West Highland Way. This runs from Milngavie (a little way north of Glasgow) to Fort William with a length of about 100 miles. Looking at the route map and elevation profiles it appears to run through valleys a lot or traverse their sides so overall is most likely less hilly than the South Downs Way which many have experience of.
I have recently been in contact (through a motorcycle group) with someone who claims to have led a small group of 'not particularly experienced' riders the length of the route over three days.
My thoughts are to aim for two and a half days with the first stop at the Crianlarich Youth Hostel at about 45 miles and the second at Kinlochbervie another 45 miles on where there is reported to be plenty of accommodation options. From Fort William there is a rail line back to the start that runs through some very remote areas including Corrour Station, which is the station that appears in the film 'Trainspotting'. It is 17 miles from the nearest tarmac and was built to service the original landowner's hunting lodge. There is now a Youth Hostel less than a mile away which would be a possible third night stop with opportunities for exploring from.
The drive to the start would be seven to eight hours which would make this a minimum four day trip with an early start and late finish. Riders wouldn't need to carry more than a change of clothing with them.
At the moment I'm putting this out to judge the enthusiasm for it. There are enough trips organised already this year so I'd be aiming for spring 2019 if it happens.
Here's the official West Highland Way website https://www.westhighlandway.org/
There's nothing worse than a reformed former derailleur owner..............

sambath

Re: West Highland Way

Post by sambath » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:59 pm

Looks great Keith
Yes would be interested
Nice to plan the diary for next year already as def enough to do this year

Steve

Pete

Post by Pete » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:57 pm

Looks good to me too.

Eleanor

Post by Eleanor » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:30 pm

Yep for 2019

Eleanor

sue m

Post by sue m » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:31 pm

Knowing people who have done the route the worst section is beside loch Lomond which a hard hike a bike... If some of the other slower riders are interested I would definitely be keen to go - add on the coast to coast at the end or a few monros ...
Sue

Clive

Post by Clive » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:55 pm

I’ve walked it and yes, most of it would be a fairly tame ride, except Devil’s Staircase (correction) from Glencoe to Kinlochleven. As Sue said, the bit around Loch Lomond is practically unrideable but there is a tarmac option.
Last edited by Clive on Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

KeithW

Post by KeithW » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:02 pm

Clive wrote:I’ve walked it and yes, most of it would be a fairly tame ride, except Jacobs Ladder from Gencoe to Kinlochleven. As Sue said, the bit around Loch Lomond is practically unrideable but there is a tarmac option.
The guy I swapped messages with did mention 'big boulders' round Loch Lomond.
There's nothing worse than a reformed former derailleur owner..............

thefaller

Post by thefaller » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

I be interested.

Steve K

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 am

https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/great-r ... d-crossing

“Once we reached Rowardennan, halfway up the east bank of Loch Lomond, we took the ferry across to Tarbet on the west coast, even though the West Highland Way continues up the east bank. This is an essential detour for cyclists, even though it means missing some scenic (but completely unrideable) forest track in the shadow of Ben Lomond and replacing it with a tedious slog up the A82, especially unpleasant in the by now heavy rain, which continued, on and off, for 24 hours. ”

Clive

Post by Clive » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:09 pm

So, yes, interested but not committing to anything in 2019 yet

bazsmith

Post by bazsmith » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:54 am

Hi. I would be interested in this trip. Please keep me posted. Ta Baz

Dean

Post by Dean » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:19 pm

Yes Keith,keep me posted, it would depend on when it is for me, as not quite retired yet and can not control all my days off.

Dean

pedallingphil

Post by pedallingphil » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:48 am

I did part of this in 2016 but had to give up due to a bad chest infection. We too took the ferry.
I would NOT describe it as easy. There are some technically difficult parts and some drops. Punctures in the group were frequent.
You will need to carry more than usual to protect yourself in case of bad weather and we had plenty.
A rewarding ride but not to be undertaken lightly.
Phil

sambath

Post by sambath » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:17 pm