The XXX injury Files

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: IanTaylor, admin

Roger Shephard

The XXX injury Files

Post by Roger Shephard » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi

Just an update on my injuries for 2017/2018

The calf spasms are starting to fade away. I was prescribed quinine sulphate for control of cramps and Penni suggested ionic magnesium. I have no way of measuring whether either had any benefit or whether time as ever is the great healer, but my calves are a lot less troublesome at the momnent. They still hurt but are liveable.

However, I chose not to come to the last club ride because I had sustained a knee injury in the gym (avoid going to gyms to get fit!) and it was quite painful and was preventing me from sitting or standing in any one position for very long and was also interrupting my sleep. I decided on Sunday (yesterday) as it was nice and sunny, if somewhat chilly, to give it a bit of rehabilitation on the bike. Well, I discovered that it hurt to push into the cleat and I did about 10 turns of the pedals in the road outside the house and the discomfort was such that I abandoned to go back indoors and get changed into civvies.

At this time I think it will be safe to say that I will not be out with the club on the next ride.

Dean

Re: The XXX injury Files

Post by Dean » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:32 pm

Sorry to hear all of this Rog, I hope all of your ailments improve soon, When I joined the club Rog you were in the Fast group, you then moved to the Medium/Fast and then onto the Medium, so is it time dare I say it for the club to start/acknowledge a SLOW group, I'm sure there would be a few takers, hope you get back in the saddle soon,
Dean

johnandlinda

Post by johnandlinda » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:37 pm

Hi Rog, sorry to hear that news. Do you recall I did a silly fall riding in circles with you at the back a few months back? Banged my hip and its only just about okay now!

Hey Dean, less of the slow... I suspect that what we might consider slow is still good riding.
Linda chooses to ride her ebike now to keep up on some hills and I keep nagging at her to use it more, even for pace on the flat.............Otherwise in contrast, Linda also rides with some local girls and takes the normal Giant full suus - and is at the head of that pack of riders... without the electric :?

By the way we are both looking forward to riding Moors Valley this w/e :D

Cheers

Dean

Post by Dean » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi John, No Moores Valley for me, Kuwait in my diary for my Sunday activity. Hope the weather improves.

Dean

sambath

Post by sambath » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:25 pm

Stay positive Roger
Summer is coming you might be a bit slower but more time to enjoy the views and company.

ImageRogerIOW by Newforce Photos, on Flickr

One from the archive !!! :lol:

Ros Harper

Post by Ros Harper » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:20 am

Sorry to hear about your injuries Roger, I've been there too so know how you feel. Just wanted to endorse the ionic magnesium which Pen recommended. I used to get dramatic leg cramps after every ride but no longer since starting the Mg so it may be worth persevering with that.