Bike rack advice?

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: admin, IanTaylor

Malcolm

Bike rack advice?

Post by Malcolm » Sat Aug 21, 2021 7:40 pm

Hi, looking to buy a tow bar mounted bike rack for 4 bikes. I am considering Witter or Halfords (Thule just seems a price too far out from other brands). Any comments/Advice from your experiences appreciated.

PaulCroll

Re: Bike rack advice?

Post by PaulCroll » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:04 am

I have a Thule, so can only comment on the one you don’t want, plus some general comments. It works well, is robust and is very easy to use.

The only thing wrong with my Thule is there is no articulation on the grabber arm. As the cross bar on most mountain biles are sloping, the grabber cannot attach to it and so you have to buy a separate metal bar to attach to the bike first. The grabber arm then attaches to the metal bar. The metal bar can then rub paint off the frame. If you have seen mine, that is why I also use that orange foam padding.

So it is worth checking if any of the ones you are looking get round that problem a different way.

The other thing to consider it the width of your tyres. My newer bike has slightly wider tyres, not much, about 2cm wider. They are right on the limit of what will fit the carrier. If my wheels had been another 1cm wider, I think that would have been a show stopper.

I also had to buy extra long tie down cables for the wheels as the original ones were not long enough for my new bike. Not a big cost, but a surprise.

I will be at the club ride on Sunday. I can show you what I mean if you like.

Paul

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:41 am

Hi Paul,
Many thanks for your detailed reply and the points you raise about "grabber" bars and tyre size. Will make sure I consider these points when I look at the options available.
Sorry- will not be on the ride Sunday.
Rgds Malcolm

towbardave

Post by towbardave » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:47 pm

I have access to Witter cycle carriers, can do a special price for NF members.

Dave.

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:12 pm

Hi Dave,
Sorry for the delayed reply.
How do I contact you direct?

John Dry

Post by John Dry » Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:22 am

Buzzrack are worth a look - I have used mine to carry enduro bikes through Europe and it's pleasingly sturdy.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/2kJcMxbfanpgLzDg6

towbardave

Post by towbardave » Mon Sep 06, 2021 11:34 am

Malcolm wrote:
Sun Sep 05, 2021 5:12 pm
Hi Dave,
Sorry for the delayed reply.
How do I contact you direct?
You can contact me on 07595908612