Riding after the end of Lockdown 2

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: admin, IanTaylor

Roger Shephard

Riding after the end of Lockdown 2

Post by Roger Shephard » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:18 am

Hello members

In the first lockdown period and for the current Lockdown Period 2, the club has taken its lead on the conduct and principles of organised rides from guidance issued by Cycling UK.

However, HM Government recently issued a Covid -19 Winter Plan and the indications were that we would be allowed to revert to groups of 6 in the very near future. The only caveat when this was issued last week was that the government would be modifying the Tier arrangements.

The BBC News channel has published today (27.11.2020) a prospective list showing that from 00.01 GMT on Wednesday 2nd December 2020 Hampshire will move into Tier 2 (high alert) category for England. On the understanding that any government statement will have the force of Law, at the moment we therefore appear to be in a good position for re-starting groups of 6 from the end of Lockdown 2 on 2nd December 2020.

I am still reluctant to promulgate this to the club membership as a firm directive before it is made official by government statement of case and hopefully operational from 2nd December.

So on this basis I am issuing a "notice of hope" that we should be thinking about mobilising leaders and making tentative arrangements for some club rides up to a maximum of 6 persons per group for our ride date interval of 6th December 2020.

Please do not take this as confirmation that it will happen, but please treat it as an intention to go forward on this basis as soon as we know officially that it will be allowable.

Best regards

Roger Shephard
Chairman

Roger Shephard

Re: Riding after the end of Lockdown 2

Post by Roger Shephard » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:20 am

Hi All

Following an email response to my earlier posting, today's post seeks to ensure clarity of what I am saying.

I am aware of the full Tier structure, and it is a fact that all of Tiers 1, 2, and 3 enable the meeting of groups of 6 in an outdoors environment, so it is academic that Hampshire is in Tier 2.

I am simply trying to be prudent in the knowledge that we have seen numerous examples of the government changing instructions in the course of the evolving pandemic, and whilst the current statement is one of determination to end full lockdown on 2nd December and thus triggering the new Tier controls, the current definitive issued government Guidance for the Public on the Phased Return of Sport and Outdoor Recreation in England is dated 5th November 2020 and remains in force until replaced with an updated version. In addition to this and in similar vein, the definitive issued government guidance Coronavirus (Covid 19) Social Distancing was last updated on 14th November. These two documents have the force of law as published until further updated, which I expect to happen concurrent with the anticipated lifting of full lockdown on 2nd December 2020.

It is for this reason that I made my suggestion that we should go ahead and make tentative arrangements for riding on 6th December 2020 pending clarity on the legal position vis-a-vis club activities. I am hoping that volunteer leaders will start to consider assembling their groups in anticipation.

Best regards

Roger Shephard
Chairman