Wootton Bridge, Brockenhurst ride Sunday 19th Jan 2020

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: admin, IanTaylor

nobby73

Wootton Bridge, Brockenhurst ride Sunday 19th Jan 2020

Post by nobby73 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:41 am

i understand this ride will be suitable for beginners. My son wants to come along but he wont be able to cope with 20 miles. Is there a half way stop planned for cake or will the route be suitable for leaving the group half way to head back to the car park via road.
Rob

sue m

Re: Wootton Bridge, Brockenhurst ride Sunday 19th Jan 2020

Post by sue m » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:50 pm

Rob

It is the Ashurst ride that is down for beginners I will ask Roger to provide more info on this ride... Which is for New comers to NF

Roger Shephard

Re: Wootton Bridge, Brockenhurst ride Sunday 19th Jan 2020

Post by Roger Shephard » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:27 pm

The general intention with Newcomers Rides is .........

Sunday 19th January 2020 - Wootton Bridge start point is a small gravel car park next to a bridge over a small stream located about halfway between Brockenhurst and Bashley. This car park is just south of the Wilverley Inclosure BBQ area. As is our usual arrangment, we will have groups of cyclists comprising riders of matching ability so that each group is neither too fast nor too slow for those making up the group. Amongst these several groups, there will be one group being lead by me (Roger Shephard) that will aim to welcome riders new to New Force but not new to cycling off-road. The intention is to give everybody a flavour of the Club with a view to helping newcomers make up their mind about the suitability of the club with regard to joining us as a permanent member. Obviously there will some testing and mismatching of abilities with the potential cross section of riders but the aim is to do a ride where nobody feels threatened or harbours self-doubt about off ride cycling in larger groups. The ride is not designed for new riders or very young riders because the distance and difficulty/ease of riding will depend on weather and many other factors.

Sunday 1st March 2020 - the Happy Cheese, Ashurst. This ride has been selected by the committee as being suitable for newcomers and beginners. As before, and as is our usual arrangment, we will have groups of cyclists comprising riders of matching ability so that each group is neither too fast nor too slow for those making up the group. Amongst these several groups, there will be one group being lead by me (Roger Shephard) that will aim to welcome riders new to New Force and riders who may be taking their first steps to cycling off-road. What this means in reality is that we have chosen an easily accessible tarmac car park on the edge of the forest at Ashurst. The ride starts adjacent to the pub and from here we can go through Woodlands, on along to Lyndhurst, Boltons Bench, Denny Lodge area and back by a circular route taking us through Deerleap or we might go on an elliptical route to Brockenhurst and back. Whichever route we choose on the day, it is planned to be a more relaxed outing with an opportunity to stop in Lyndhurst or Brockenhurst or somewhere else not yet selected where we can have a cuppa and a slice of cake to fortify us at approximately the half way stage, and the distance travelled overall will be manageable for people not used to extended riding sessions. Whichever way we choose, at the end of it all there will still be an opportunity to visit to The Happy Cheese pub so we can all swap stories about how much we enjoyed it.