Today's ride at Fritham

Rides, bike talk, advice, etc.

Moderators: IanTaylor, admin

Roger Shephard

Today's ride at Fritham

Post by Roger Shephard » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:52 pm

It was good to get back out on the bike in the Forest, and what a cracking day it was. The sun shone and the temperature was pleasant.
I was joined by some club members eager to get out and ride but not to set any speed or distance records, and my stated aim at the outset was to ride at a sensible pace and take a good look at the landscapes that we passed through.

The vistas from the high ground were beautiful with the low sun and the softening of the rays lending an ethereal tone to the views. We were blessed with seeing a couple of substantial herds of deer at very close quarters, the first of which numbered approx 30 fallow deer, and the second was a continuous passing stream of stags with antlers including a pure white one, and does following on with sprightly youngsters in tow. The entire herd must have been about forty in number. Having watched this elegant procession, we made to start off again and surprised another bunch of a dozen or so that had held back when they got wind of us. We back-tracked a bit and gave them some space.

So in a group that contained two of us recovering from physical injury, and one new member finding her leg muscles again, we six had a lovely ride and as far as I am concerned, we achieved what we set out to do:- to have a nice ride in good company and to absorb some of the Forest rather than just pass through it.